Wednesday, June 28, 2006

HELIX


My last visit to Hyderabad was way back in march (For details of that trip read this).My whole point for writing today is ‘HELIX’. ‘HELIX’ was one of the few things I took back with me from that trip. Even today when I was thinking about it in my leisure the thing that arose in my mind is the kind of platform ‘HELIX’ provides to the guys out there. I had myself being through my college life wondering how to brush up my interview skills, elocution skills, socialize with seniors and share my experiences with peers. Apart from a casual banter in my University Campus there had been nothing that productive. It was my own interest that I had kept these things flowing a bit. ‘HELIX’ I guess is a good platform for channeling the energy of the youth in right direction. One can learn to speak fearlessly on any topic in front of the crowd, one can learn leadership skills, one gets to know about books and experiences of others and one can learn team spirits through various games played with snacks and tea. ‘HELIX’ was kind of an eye opener for me.
Coming back here I realized that the ‘ADDA’ sessions which we have in weekends can be channelized to generate the same kind of impact that ‘HELIX’ provides. Infact these ‘ADDA’ sessions are a sort of group discussions that ranges from politics, sports, films, gossips to science and arts. But it is so much unorganized that there is hardly anything to take back from it. It fact at times it becomes chaotic. The problem that I noticed was that these guys are very good with the knowledge on the topics that are discussed but the moment you tell them to say it in English with the whole crowd watching them, invariable they fumble and falter. That’s where it looses to ‘HELIX’. I had talked with them regarding ‘HELIX’ and how much an organized discussion can benefit us. But I guess streamlining their casual fun is not what they intend to do. I had even talked to some of my college juniors about ‘HELIX’ and have encouraged them to streamline their ‘ADDA’s’ into something that will benefit them in the long run, even they hadn’t responded too enthusiastically.
Those few hours with ‘HELIX’ were really wonderful. I remember speaking about my J&K, Punjab trip and giving an impromptu speech on the color ‘Green’ . Where inadvertently Subir brought up ‘Communism’ and ‘Gym’ from nowhere. I still remember Anand speaking on ‘Black’ and Subir justifying his fascination for ‘Blue’. He also gave a book review of the book ‘Hang by my Family tree’. I still remember Anand and Subir trying to set up ‘HELIX’ in their Bangalore office after returning from Hyderabad. I do believe the message of ‘HELIX’ should be spread..whether its accepted by others or not is a different story all together!

3 comments:

Subir said...

correction...i reviewed "hung by my family tree"

anacreon said...

I was about to post the same and call it constructive criticism.

Unknown said...

@Subir:
Ya dude thanks for the correction.

@Anand:
Good that u r learning.