Sunday, July 09, 2006

It end's tonight....

Finally the day has come. One month of madness, passion and obsession is going to end tonight. Yes, today is the World Cup 2006 finals. Defying all predictions France and Italy will clash in the mega final. France has the dream of conquering the world for the second time and Italy wants to cleanse its country of all football controversies, so the final is going to be an interesting clash. Interestingly the two countries played some pretty ordinary football to start with and then picked up when required and reached the finals. My support will be there for the French team. My favorite teams are out so no harm in choosing one of these two and support it.
One month of madness is finally getting over. May be this is the only cup where I have not missed any single match. Yes may be luck in a cruelest way has favored me. Well since I broke my leg in an accident and had to take 4 weeks of bed rest. I had ample time to watch my hero’s in action. In spite of the fact that I had to spend most of the time lying in my bed but I never got bored. ESPN channel with its loads of Football shows actually kept my mood and spirits pretty high.
This event has seen many moments of glory and many moments of loss. Looking back the images that come to my mind is Argentina’s 6 goals, J.Coles unbelieving goal, Rodriguez’s spectacular effort which may be counted as one of the best goals so far, Ghana’s amazing football, Brazilian super heros falling from grace, Australia’s sad exit in the dying moment, Portugal Holland off the turf battle, Rooney’s Red card and Beckham’s tears, Argentina’s exit in the Tie Breaker, Germany’s shock defeat in the dying moments of extra time, Zidane and Henry flaring up at the last leg of the cup, Podolsky and Klose’s amazing combination, Ronaldo and Figo’s inspiring performance to take Portugal to the semi-final. Last but not the least this world cup will always remind me of refreeing blunders, some of which may have costed some countries their dreams. On the whole my world that was entrapped in the 8’’ diameter will finally come to an end, tonight.
May the best team win tonight! All I want is an entertaining football.

2 comments:

anacreon said...

I don't really like the Italian way of football...And even France has begun playing like them with only Henry up front. Players like Trezeguet and Saha have not got a game...
Yet I am looking forward to the final, though not the teams in it.

Unknown said...

@Anand:
Hopefully the final will live upto its expectation! :-)